Monday, July 4, 2011

MEMORIES OF CHINA

It was the month of April and I had started off on an official visit to China from the UAE, the third largest economy in the world.I took a Cathay Pacific flight to Hong Kong and a connecting Air China flight to the Mainland. It was a long walk to the baggage collection area and I found my baggage missing on the conveyors.Thus starts my memorable journey to the most populous country in the world.

I was taken to the screening area for enquiry and to my dismay, I found my baggage opened up and shrewn all around. A lady inspector walked towards me and spoke a few sentences and I kept gazing at her to what was being said.Then came the english part. She opened up the talcum powder and aked me what it was? I gave an animated reply as to what it was. A few more questions to know the reason of my visit and then I was let off.

The day I landed in China, my perception of China as a developing country took a beating.All along I had imagined it to be a country similar to my home country India. Both were refered to as developing countries with huge populations with all the issues of a developing country. I changed my mind from that very day.The country can no longer be called a developing country.It matches any European country in terms of technology and development and culture.


My visit to China was for 5 days. I was sent to a place called Hangzhou in south east China.The place is close to Shanghai.The purpose of my visit was to source machinery and tooling for my company with assistance from the local office setup there.I was lucky to have people of my age group to take me around.

The scenic beauty of the place coupled with the man made beauty mesmerized me.the lake with the dancing fountains was a treat to watch in the darkness of the night.I had never seen any thing like that before. The lights & the fountains were dancing to the tune of the music being played and I was in awe.We were at the lake for more than an hour and then retired to our hotel rooms.

The next day ,we left for an interior place early in the morning . It was far off from the city and was as per our official plan.We had taken a highway and the road was terrific. I could hardly feel a jerk. I was amazed  to see both the sides of the road covered with lush green grass.  it looked like a green carpet with one side of the road having a chain of mountains all the way and the other was lined up with houses of exotic colours and designs , the traditional chinese ones. I could hardly control myself from taking in numerous number of snaps and recordings.


We reached the place around noon and soon got into business. On completing our work in 3 different places, cudos to the organiser - the visit was well planned to club the places of visit. Late in the evening we started on our way back. The distance was long and the day tiresome. I had put my host into a spot of bother with my food intake. To be frank, I had a tough time for the first two days of my trip with no Indian food available. On the first day I had ordered Salmon ( the only item in the entire menu that was familiar to me) It was served raw and that was the last I had of it. It tool some time for me to get over the experience.The next day I was living on bananas an my host was getting more concerned about my health.

To be continued .......





No comments:

Post a Comment